Saturday, February 13, 2010

My first time meeting Jon Schaffer


Brent Smedley, Troy Seele, Freddie Vidales, ME, Matt Barlow, Jon Schaffer
September 21, 2008.
Detroit, Michigan.
Harpo's Concert Theater.


I nervously stood by myself in line outside of Harpo's Concert Theater in Detroit. I was surrounded by strangers all waiting for the same thing. I waited with them for the doors to open. In a sense, we were not strangers. Everyone in line that day shared their love for metal, and more specifically love for my favorite band known as Iced Earth. I waited anxiously to see my favorite band for the first time.

Eventually I made my way into Harpo's. I checked out Iced Earth's merchandise counter, and the counters of the opening bands. I spotted some of my friends walking through the entrance, and it was quite a surprise. I didn't know they would be at the concert. We sat on a bench near the back of the theater making small talk while the local bands played. That is when it happened. Jon Schaffer, the lead guitarist and founder of Iced Earth, walked right before my eyes. I had never seen Iced Earth live, or witnessed Jon Schaffer in person. It was as if God himself walked right in front of me. My friend Kiel said to us, "holy crap, that's Jon Schaffer." We wondered why Jon was near the back of the theater instead of backstage. Well, it was because he was checking out the merchandise counter. Harpo's was Iced Earth's first stop on the Fall 2008 North American tour.

Jon eventually started walking back to whatever door he came out of. I knew he was going to pass us again, so I prepared myself for a fateful encounter. As he walked past the bench again I sprung into action. "Hey Jon," I said. "I can't wait to see you guys up on stage." He smiled and shook my hand. It was the most metal handshake, ever. Some people wait their entire lives to meet the President, or the Pope. My meeting with Jon was the equivalent of those two important figures. It took me 8 years to meet one of the best musicians to walk the face of the earth. Those 8 years all boiled down to a meeting with him in front of a merchandise counter at the back of Harpo's Concert Theater in Detroit. I told Jon that this was my first of hopefully many Iced Earth concerts, and he said he was looking forward to it as well. Although this encounter lasted about 10 seconds, it felt like the eternity. This was a good thing.

I had VIP passes for the concert, so I knew I would eventually meet the band after the show. However, meeting Jon like this was much more awesome. It felt less forced compared to a meet and greet type event. This was the first time I met Jon Schaffer, who I believe is the best songwriter/musician in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment