Saturday, February 6, 2010

Avatar...yeah.

"It seems Avatar will be a DVD rental for me."
~Me (from January 14)

I proved myself wrong on Friday, and I have succumbed to the Avatar hype. I finally went to go see it in IMAX 3D. Visually, it was amazing. However, the plot was far from amazing. Too much time was spent on...

( warning, here be spoilers: )

...Jake trying to fit in with the Navi people, or Smurfs as my dad called them. If I was in his shoes I would have done otherwise. I would have accepted the Colonel's deal to get my legs working again. I like my legs, and I am sure Jake liked his legs when they worked. He should have accepted the deal instead of pretending to walk again through linking his mind to an Avatar.

I was much more fond of the visuals. The 3D effects were amazing, and it really made the CG look lifelike. I feel that all the human scenes were so lifelike. I think the 3D suffered when it was just scenes with the Navi people. The coolest shot was the opening scene where all of the humans were waking up on the spaceship. That shot really took full advantage of the 3D effects.

That is my two cents on Avatar. Is it the greatest movie ever? No. Is it a good movie? You bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment