Friday, February 12, 2010

Gamestop

Gamestop needs to do a better job checking their refurbished systems. A few years back I bought a refurbished Xbox 360. I quickly set it up at home to the dismay of the notorious Red Rings of Death. The red ring problem is where the Xbox 360 locks up and stops working, mostly due to heat. Luckily, I was able to take it back and exchange it for another system.

Yesterday I bought a refurbished Nintendo DS Lite to replace my aging Original DS. I assumed it would be fine, and I didn’t check it before I drove home. I discovered that the right-hand speaker on the system is broken, and it just plays back static clicking. Today I am going back to the same Gamestop to exchange the DS Lite. Luckily they have a pretty good exchange policy for these things. However, it makes me wonder what is going on at quality control. I am assuming that the systems they buy back are sent out to corporate. Then corporate “refurbishes” them. Maybe I am just unlucky, and I got two duds over the years.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah those refurb systems are hit-or-miss. Used/refurb 360's are notoriously bad, at my store we make no effort to sell those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one I have now (which was the second one they gave me) has been working fine. It is one of the newer models with HDMI. I don't play it that often, but when I do it is usually for Rockband or Left 4 Dead. I am more of a PC gamer, because I grew up playing FPS on the PC like doom and Halflife

    ReplyDelete