Friday, January 29, 2010

Return to the Battlefield.

I used to play a lot of video games when I was younger. Sonic, Mario, Zelda, Megaman, and even Pokemon. Over the years I faded away from being a hardcore video gamer. The only series I still follow is the Legend of Zelda series. However, I am also a computer gamer. There is a difference between video games and computer games (well, that's how I feel about it). Video games are what you play on a console in a living room with friends, whereas computer games are played at a desk with your computer. The social aspect of computer gaming is primarily through online interactions. I may have faded away from video games, but I never faded away from computer games. My favorite genre is that of the first person shooter. It may seem violent, but it is really fun! Call of Duty and Battlefield are my two favorite PC game series. This post will focus on the next installment of the Battlefield series.


Battlefield is a series of first person shooter games created by DICE, and published by Electronic Arts. It all started with the WWII themed Battlefield 1942, which released in 2002. Honestly, I was never a fan of it. I stuck to my game at the time, Medal of Honor. I didn't get into Battlefield until the 2004 sequel, Battlefield Vietnam. There was something about the game that made it seem refreshing from all the WWII-themed games. My love for Battlefield deepened in 2005 when Battlefield 2 released. Battlefield 2 was a modern warfare game. Battlefield 2 was "the game" among computer gamers. It quickly became the benchmark for all computer builders and hardcore gamers. It had amazing graphics, and demanded a very fast computer. Luckily, I had just build my first computer earlier that year for running Call of Duty 2 flawlessly. The last Battlefield game to release for the PC was Battlefield 2142 in 2006. The game features a futuristic world that has been devestated by an ice age. A coalition of Asian countries are left to fight the European Union over what little land is left in the world. Battlefield 2142 is my favorite game in the series. I favor it because of all the mechanical improvements to the game, such as squad-based tactics. Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield Bad Company were two more sequels. However, they were never released for the computer. Instead they saw fame on the Xbox 360.






Flashforward to March 2, 2010. This it the day that Battlefield will make its return to the PC in the form of Battlefield Bad Company 2. It is a sequel to the Xbox's Battlefield Bad Company. The gameplay is a little different than the traditional Battlefield games, and I see it as a spin-off title. I know this, because I am one of the lucky people who have been granted access to the Beta(Betas are a somewhat completed game that are played by individuals to help the programmers fix any bugs before the retail release). It is a very fun game, and I can not wait to pick up my pre-ordered copy. I haven't had much time for anything besides school and work. However, I hope to make some time to play Bad Company 2.






























No comments:

Post a Comment