Sunday, January 24, 2010

More electronic woes...




I own a LG BD-270 model Blu-ray player, and it is has a split personality. Most of the time it is fine with playing all of my favorite movies. However, it has a dirty secret. It sometimes likes to shut itself off after 5-10 minutes of playing a movie. I would say that this happens around 40% of the time. I bought the player for $150 back in September, and now it retails for $99. I am beginning to research into other Blu-Ray players, because I get frustrated when it acts up. Though, the problem to that proposed solution is money. Is it worth spending around $150 for another Blu-ray player when my current player only shows symptoms around 40% of the time? This is the question that I have been asking myself during the past few weeks. As you may know, I am currently 5 seasons in to my "Lost on Blu-ray" re-watch. It seems like my player shuts off on every other disc.

Let me illustrate what has been happening. I pop in a disc, and await for the chance to hit the menu button to skip all of the previews. The menu loads, and I am finally able to start watching the movie. I finally get through all the opening credits, and then... blackness. The Blu-ray player shuts off. Sometimes the screen dips to black for a quick second, and then everything is fine. However most of time it goes to black, and then the player shuts off. I updated the firmware after this happened the first few times. This seemed to do nothing. Then, I noticed that the player gets extremely hot on the bottom. In an effort to relieve overheating, I placed it on top of a mesh rack sort of thing. This did not solve my problem, but it has helped to keep the player cooler when running. So, if this keeps happening I may be turning to a Sony Blu-ray player. After all, it would complement my Sony HT-SS360 surround sound player.

1 comment:

  1. I watch my blu-ray movies on our playstation 3. It works great and also let's me waste time on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete