Monday, March 15, 2010

Moving back to Michigan

One of my best friends, Anthony Giesey, is moving back to Michigan. We went to the same school, St. Mary's in Mt. Clemens, from kindergarten to 8th grade. I never really spoke to him until I was around 7 years old. We became good friends ever since that time. At the end of 8th grade he moved with his family to Florida. It kind of sucked that one of my best friends was moving away. However, I was used to it. Several friends from that school lived on base at Selfridge Air Force Base. They rotated in and out of the school. The first time I dealt with this was in 5th grade when my friend Franz moved due to his dad being reassigned elsewhere. However, Anthony's family was not in the military. They moved due to the start of GM's collapse.

I kept in touch with Anthony, even though he lived so far away. He visited every summer since then, and it was nice to see him back in Michigan. He would always come over and hang out with me and my other friends who were friends of both of us from St. Mary's. He moved back to Michigan in 2006 for college. However, he moved to Houghton in the UP. I still kept in touch with him.

This week he was down in St. Clair Shores to be interviewed for a few jobs. He is getting his bachelors in Electrical Engineering from Michigan Tech at the end of the semester. He surprised me and all of our friends when he announced he would be moving back to St. Claire Shores. He told us that he got the job offer for a full time gig working on electrical substations. He said he had several offers throughout the country, including his internship from Iowa where he worked on wind turbines. The offer back in Michigan paid more, and they will be paying for him to get his Masters degree. The biggest plus for him is that he will be back in his home town.

So after 8 years one of my best friends will be returning home.

No comments:

Post a Comment